Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My New Favorite Fruit

When I was a kid my mom and I would walk by the tropical/exotic fruit section of the supermarket and experiment with fruit that we had never seen before.  I loved the way star fruit looked.  Actually I really loved the name :o).  I remember getting a star fruit from the store but having no idea how to eat it.  I think we peeled off all the skin and cut it in slices. LOL.  By then there wasn't much fruit left to eat.


I met my friend the star fruit again on vacation with Hubby in Jamaica.  We were at a friend's house and they had a star apple (or fruit as we Americans call it) tree in their yard.  Hubby picked a couple of ripe ones and just started eating them like, well, like apples.  I also started eating some like apples and it was much easier to enjoy this way.  They taste tart but in a sweet way.  Kind of like lemonade with just a little sugar, but in a tropical way - if that makes any sense?

Here in the states I buy them ever so often (they are pretty expensive) but I have been lucky enough that my organic produce delivery service has started carrying them for a much better price than the local supermarket.  The only thing I do (after washing) is cut the edges of the star points off and enjoy.  A just loves them too!  I can't wait until we live in the Caribbean and can enjoy this treat on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment