Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

To Nuke or Not To Nuke

There has been a lot of internet chatter about microwaves lately with this study that says everything we thought was bad about the microwave isn't. Count me among the confused, especially since I've been trying to go old school reheating our leftovers on the stove.  It helps that our microwave was on the fritz... it actually caught on fire, so I decided it was out of commission. 



The truth is, if it was MY microwave I would have gone out the next day for a new one, but the microwave came with the house and it took my landlord almost 3 weeks to replace it.

Food tastes better reheated on the stove. There I said it.  It's a slower process so there is less risk of over heating, but there is a downside - what I consider a "first world problem" . The dishes.  One of the highlights of leftover night is not washing pots a pans.  Not any more.

So is it worth it? I don't know. We were able to live with out the microwave for a few weeks and now that I have another one I'm not using it as much as I did before. I stopped using plastic in the microwave years ago and that seems to be the source of most of the danger.

 

1 comment:

  1. If I have to heat for more than three to five min and its in a plastic....I don't use it. I believe in moderation.

    ReplyDelete