Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Essence of Beauty


I have feminist tendencies but I love girly girl stuff.  I love the princess, diva, ballerina, you name it I love it.  Lucky for me I have 2 beautiful girls.  They have bright sparkling eyes, broad button noses, heart shaped full lips, and heads with tons of kinky curls.  They are a reflection of me (and hubby too, I guess).   I want them to see their own beauty for themselves and not just through my eyes.  It wasn’t enough that my mom told me I was beautiful every day, all I could see was my “flaws”.

Essence Magazine
 In an effort to reinforce their sense of beauty I have subscribed to Essence magazine.  Pages upon pages of Black women in every shade with every type of hair imaginable are scattered around my house.  This is not because I want my girls to be materialist fashonistas but because they need to see Black beauty in others so they can see it in themselves.  Images are powerful.  Influence extends farther than my reach.  Willow is whipping her braids and A loves to wear her hair in braids and whip them even though she is the only girl in her school with them.  I know the days are coming when they will want more than nothing else to conform.  I just hope I am laying a strong foundation in self appreciation so those days are short lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment